Sambal Goreng Pengantin
"Pengantin" means wedding, hence it can be commonly serve at Malay wedding receptions or during the festive seasons of Hari Raya. This is my favourite dish and we usually get to eat this during Hari raya Puasa. A lot of preparation work yet the end result is so satisfying. There ae many variation to this dish but my favourite would be be the one that my late Mum showed me. So this recipe has my late Mum's approval but made easier with the used of #IbuSegalaRempah spice mix.
- 1 Kg Beef Boiled till tender and cut into bite size cubes
- 500 gm Beef lungs Boiled till tender and cut into bite size cubes
- 500 gm Beef liver Cut into bit size cubes
- 500 gm Prawn De-Shelled, tail om, washed and marinate with 1/2 tsp salt
- 100 gm #IbuSegalaRempah
- 1 kg Onion Thinlly sliced
- 1 tsp Tamarind paste
- 200 ml Coconut milk
- 1 pc Chicken Stock cube
- 5 gm Toasted Shrimp Paste
- 1 cup Dried Red Chili washed, cut finely
- 1 up Fried Shallots
- 1 cup Water or Beef stock
- 2 cups Cooking Oil
- Salt & Sugar to taste
- In a large wok, heat up the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, throw in the finely cut dried chilies. Fry the chili till slightly crisp but not burnt. Remove the Chili and set aside.
- Add in the prawn, fry till they are cooked. This shouldn't take long. Remove and set aside.
- Next add in the cut lungs, fry for about 1 minute. Remove and set aside/
- Add in the #IbuSegalaRempah, toasted shrimp, paste & chicken stock. Stir well.
- Add in the liver. AS the deliver are delicate, gently stir but thoroughly. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Next add in the beef and lungs back into the work and add in the tamarind paste. Season with salt and sugar.
- Add in the coconut milk. Allow it to simmer till the oil separates.
- Add water or beef stock if necessary. After about 5 minutes the sauce will starts to thicken.
- Throw in the fried chili and shallots. Mix everything well. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the prawn for about 1 minute and and the dish is ready to be served.
To cut down on preparation time, I used pressure cooker to boil the beef and lungs. Add salt when boiling the lungs.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!