There are so many style or ways of preparing Mee Rebus and there is no one correct way. This recipe I am sharing here is something that I can recall during our hawker days, we omit the use of beef stock as to cater to the majority of our customers that didn’t eat beef. This style of Mee Rebus also reminds me of my primary school days. Me and my classmates will often share a plate of Mee Rebus at the school canteen, as we didn’t have much money then we would always ask for second helpings of the gravy from the Mak Cik. It was so SHIOK slurping the gravy, yup just the gravy! The Mak Cik was very kind to give us FOC and also because her son was our classmate too. lol.
Mee Rebus Hawker Style
- 50 gm #IbuSegalaRempah
- 500 gm Sweet Potato Boiled till tender and blend till fine paste
- 25 gm Meat Curry Powder Mix with a little water till becomes a paste
- 100 gm Grated toasted peanut
- 30 gm Dried Baby shrimp (Geragau) Soaked, drained*
- 100 gm Fermented beans (tauchio) *Rinsed, drained and blended with baby shrimp
- 2 litre Water
- Salt & Sugar to taste
- Combine all the ingredients except seasoning in a large sauce pan and let it boil.
- Reduce heat, allow to simmer until gravy thickens. Have a taste, the gravy should have a sweet taste. Add seasonings as required.
- Once ready to serve, pour hot gravy over noodles or pasta.