This snack or side dish originated from Indonesia and has been trending ever since.
Tempe Melet or Tempe Mercun (Explosive)
- 6 packs Tempe (2 pc/pack) Halves
- 5 pcs rED cHILI
- 5 pcs Green Chili
- 20 pcs Red Cili Padi (Bird Eyes Chili) use more or less
- 10 pcs Cherry Tomato or 2 Tomatoes chopped intoi chubks
- 3 nos. Shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Chicken stock powder optional
- 3 tbs Cooking Oil
- Sugar to taste
- 1 pkt #TAGPakUsu (Season Flour Mixed)
- 1 cup Cold water
- 2 tbs Cold water
- 1 tsp Coriander Fennel Mix
- In an electric chopper, add the chilies, garlic & shallots. Roughly chopped this ingredients,
- Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add the chopped ingredients. Add salt and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and continue stirring. Add in the Chicken Stock Powder & Sugar. Continue cooking.
- The Sambal is cooked when it turns slightly darker. Turn off the heat,. set aside to cool.
Preparing the Tempe
- Take 2 pieces of the tempe, take about 1/2 tsp of the sambal spread on 1 pc of the tempe and take teh other piece to form like a sandwich. Repeat the steps until all the Tempe are done.
For the Batter
- Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mixing all the ingredients into a smooth batter.
- Heat sufficient oil in a frying pan. Coat the sandwiched Tempe with the batter. Place it into the hot oil, be sure to set the heat to medium heat. Cook until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the frying pan and plan on kitchen towelin order to absorb access oil. The Tempe Melet is ready to be served as a snack or as a side dish.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!