Unlike Nyonya Laksa, this version of Laksa Gravy is creamy and rich in fish flavour. I could remember that when my late Mum prepare this gravy, she would purchase a couple kilos of tuna fish from the wet market. She would first boil the fish, meticulously separate the flesh from the bone and blend the flesh with some of the fish stock. In this recipe I am taking a short cut by using canned sardines, alternative you may substitute sardine with can tuna.
Malay Laksa Gravy
- 2 can Sardines drained and rinsed. Approx 500 gm
- 75 gm #IbuSegalaRempah
- 30 gm Fish Curry powder
- 300 ml Coconut milk
- 1 stalk Lemongrass bruisedq
- 1.5 litre Water
- 1 pc Anchovy stock cube
- Salt & Sugar to taste
- Boil water in a pot and add lemon grass. Mix the curry powder and ISR before adding into the pot.
- Reduce heat, cover the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mash the sardine and add them into the pot and stir. Add anchovy stock cube, stir until dissolved.
- Let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes before adding coconut milk. Stir well, taste and add seasoning if necessary.
- The sauce must not be too thick nor too thin.
be used as a stock. Mashedfish meat, make sure there are no fish bones.