Pressure cooking is now my favourite mode of cooking. At first I thought pressure cooker is used solely to tenderised meat or beans, when I saw my late Mum used it to boil cow lungs. tripe, spleen etc. Its only after I chance upon a FB posting and did some Googling that I soon realised you can cook wonders with a pressure cooker. Since then I have owned a Silverstone Microwaveable Pressure Cooker and 2 Philips Pressure Cookers (HD2137 & HD2139). Unlike the conventional stove top or oven/bake cooking methods, pressure cooking is faster and the results are amazingly as good as those slow cooked ones. Imagine with a versatilespice mi paste #IbuSegalaRempah and pressure cooking you save more than half the time to cook “Rendang” as to compare to other conventional cooking methods. The following is a “Ayam Masak Merah” recipe cooked using a Philips Pressure Cooler HD 2139.
Cooking with Pressure Cooker - Ayam Masak Merah
- 1 whole Chicken cut into 10 pieces. Rub with Salt and turmeric. Deep fry till 1/2 done
- 75 gm #IbuSegalaRempah
- 5 whole Ripe Tomatoes chopped, coarsely
- 5 medium Red Onion chopped, coarsely
- 2 tbs Tomato pste/puree
- 1 pc Chicken Stock cube
- 1.2 cup Water
- 1 bunch Cilantro or Coriander Leaves
- 2 tbs Cooking Oil
- Salt & Sugar to taste
- 1 stick Cinnamon bark
- 1 oc Star anise
- 5 pcs Cardamom
- 5 pcs Cloves
- Witch own the pressure cooker. Set to any mode. Heat up the PC. Pour in oil.
- Throw in the dry spices, saute for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add in the chopped onion and continue sauteing, until slightly wilted.
- Next add in the chopped tomatoes, chicken cube, #IbuSegalaRempah and tomato paste. Mixed well.
- Taste, add seasoning if necessary, then add in the chicken and water if prefer more sauce.
- Switch off the PC. Set mode to Steam with KPT (Keep Pressure Timer or Cooking Timet) to 7 minutes. Close the lid and turn VENT knob to SEAL. Leave the PC to continue cooking. While waiting you can continue to cook your other dishes.
- When the 7 minutes are up. Slowly release pressure, once all pressure has been released and the plunger has dropped, slowly and careful open the lid.
- sprinkle with the chopped cilantro and a quick stir before serving.